Friday, July 31, 2015

Demon Idol 'Blog Part 4: Beginning the Beguin

Okay, after having spent a few weekends working on my 1:1 Scale human bathroom, I decided to squeeze in some painting on a slightly smaller scale and work on the Demon Idol.


That's a roughly 35/65 mix of Reaper Pure Black (9037) and Rainy Grey (9038).  I didn't mix up enough to do a second coat (or even a proper first one), much less get the whole miniature done, even with thinning.  Speaking of, it is going on thin.  There's a lot of lovely detail - pits in the stone, cracks, cuts, chips, etc. - sculpted in and I would hate to lose those fine details by gunking it up with too much paint.  So slow and steady wins the race.  Hopefully I can reformulate the mix and his lower body won't wind up too dark, or too light.  After two good coats (or one and heavy retouching), I'm going to ink with Reaper Black Ink.  Then, I'll highlight with rainy grey.  I may stipple with pure black to give it that basalt look, as well.  After that, the brazier, and then I'll consider the highlighting from the fire within same.

EDIT: I said last post, I'd have the thieves started, but I have not yet.  Maybe between now and next week!

'Til next time!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

PDF redux!

If you've been missing the .PDF 1e AD&D books, they're once again available from dndclassics.com!  These are electronic scans based on the reissues from 2012, though, so any persistent errors in those print copies (dwarves having 7 hit dice, for example) are still there, so be aware of that.

Now all they need to do is put these items on Print on Demand and 1e AD&D will be an evergreen product...forever!

Now for original D&D, fellows!

Oh, lest I forget: I haven't forgotten about my painting projects.  I'm still painting!  It's just that right now I'm painting a room rather than miniatures. Oh my achin' back...anyway, stay tuned for more Demon Idol goodness.


Monday, July 6, 2015

Demon Idol Painting Blog, Part 3.

Primed and Ready, Redux

This is just kind of a brief entry; I ended up going with "the brush" for priming for a couple of reasons: chief reason is I don't have any rattlecans left!  I guess I tossed out the last can of "Skull White" GW spray primer a while back, or at least it's somewhere I can't locate it.  That's fine, a 50/50 mix of the aforementioned Vallejo primer and water did the trick. 





Also, the altar itself got a coat of primer.  The standing braziers did not; I neglected to put them on caps for armatures!  So between this update and the beginning of the painting, I'll do that.

There's something...unsettling about the face on the altar.  I can't quite put my finger on it but it reminds me (and not in an amusing or ironic way) of those Jack Chick tracts, when they'd show hapless, "cartoony" devils discussing how to damn people.
Anyway, the next update, I'll have started work on the two thieves.  Oh, and you might have noticed that I have not attached the gemstone eyes; those will likely be put on after I paint the mini.  I know generally, assembly comes before painting but in this case, I want to get the paint job just so before I commit to attaching those.

See you next time!