Skip to main content

Demon Idol Blog, part 2.

Idol hands are the Demon's playthings...

Okay, this time around let's talk about construction.  Firstly, as noted in the previous entry there's a large gap in the right wrist that must be addressed.  For this I'll use my trusty old (and rapidly depleting) Apoxie sculpt, a two-part epoxy.  It's basically the same as "green stuff" but this particular substance turns a yellow-gray when mixed.





I just need a small bit, really, so a couple of pieces the size of a large pea should do the trick:
Once mixed, it goes into the wrist.  I still had some left over, so I used it to work on some other minis that needed a little TLC as far as filling in gaps went.

Now, while that sets up (I usually give it 24 hours or so to cure), I went to work on the two thieves.  The first thing was to put them on an armature, in this case, simple plastic bottlecaps.  Normally I'd use Elmer's glue to hold a mini to a cap for painting but in this case as they only have a tiny attachment point as opposed to a full base, I used a drop of Gorilla Glue.  As I found out (accidentally) they'll pop right back off.


The next decision was on how to attach them.  I want to use the Demon Idol piece at the table, and have it as a nice display piece so I considered a few ways I could attach them securely.  I decided not to use blue-tack as that would eventually peel paint off, or Elmer's glue as that would as well.  These two fellows would have to be pinned, then holes drilled in the idol itself.  My favorite method of pinning is to use the 0.5mm dremel bit and straightened paperclip, so that's what I went with.


"...but then I took an arrow to the knee."

"Please don't put that pin in my riTHOOF!"
If you note, these guys have some primer already on them; I actually did that before I decided to pin them, but holding them securely to Dremel them rubbed a good amount off, so they got a second coat of Vallejo Foundation White.
I've had that particular bottle for ten years or more now; still smooth as silk!

The next post will be about priming the Demon Idol itself; I'm still up in the air on how I'm going to do that, I'm not sure if I'll brush prime it or spray.  Both have advantages and disadvantages. 

On other fronts, coming later this week is (finally) a new video!  See you all round the interwebs...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irritated With the Latest Nonsense From Wizards of the Coast, "OSR" thoughts

As I stated in earlier 'blog entries, Wizards of the Coast authorized the release of older products on Print on Demand; I was pretty happy about that turn of events.  Now, I figured, I could show people where they could buy old-school stuff - but brand new!  Unlimited amounts of it!  No PDF-only, or having to go with a comb-bound or printed-out copy.  This, I felt, was the great and proper turn of events.
Well, my happiness here has been short-lived.  Inexplicably (and I mean, inexplicable: I have asked three points of contact at Wizards of the Coast about this and gotten nowhere), the Dungeon Masters Guide and Players Handbook have been pulled off of PoD.  The progress of modules being added has slowed to a stop, and there's no indication at all that any original D&D items are or were being put up.
I was going to review (for the long-neglected YouTube channel) a Print on Demand module I'd ordered, but now, I doubt I will: it's not like I can tell folks "Well…

Now More Than Ever, The Role-Playing Game Community Needs Its Harlan Ellison

My interweb buddy Rob Schwalb, author of the fantasy game Shadow of the Demon Lord made a salient point over on Facebook.  To paraphrase, he said "pay what you like" is bullshit, to value your work.  I agree, and I was motivated to quote Harlan Ellison who wrote (and stated) "Pay the God-rammed writer!". And, of course, Ellison is right.  Whether it's twenty five people, twenty-five hundred people or twenty-five thousand people, if you have an audience willing to pay you should get paid.


But this isn't just about my opinion or agreement with Rob Schwalb, or Harlan Ellison.  I thought about Ellison's perspectives on writing, what it is to work in an industry that is fundamentally a con game, within (we make up books about elves and dragons), and without: we do what we do convinced that we're making a huge mark on the hobby, that we might be the Next Hot Thing.
Now Ellison is one of those people you either love or hate but regardless of which it is, …

Happy 2016!

Thanks for sticking around, those of you who have stuck around!  It occurs to me that since I migrated across several websites I may have "lost" the text of my interview with Gary Gygax from 2002.  Fear not, adventurers.  I still have it, but I'm not sure it's online in an easily accessible form any more (archive.org notwithstanding).  So without further bloviating on my part, here it is in it's entirety!

B: “When you look back at Dungeons and Dragons as a whole, back in those early days did you think to yourself “This is going to have a huge impact,” that is, did you think that Dungeons and Dragons would become synonymous not only with Role Playing Games in general but synonymous with the Fantasy/Science Fiction subculture as a whole?
G: Not exactly.Matter of fact, nobody was thinking of role-playing as the emerging, soon-to-be dominant form of hobby gaming.I looked at the D&D game with my partner, Don Kaye, as likely to be the most popular of the vario…